Dr. Mommy Dentist

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

the joys of homeownership!

as of may 31, i can officially say that i am a homeowner! not that i've been able to spend a night at my new digs, since 3/4 of our crap is sitting in the garage and the remaining 1/4 is scattered all over the house, looking for a place to call home. so much to do, which is why i haven't posted in a while. but i have a house, i have a house, i have a house, so i can't complain!

canuck is agonizing over which TV and internet service provider he's going to choose. i myself do not care much about these things, as long as i can access ebay, the news, and watch my thursday night lineup. i myself agonize over crap like color schemes and what kind of duvet cover would look best with our shiny new/used bedroom furnitre (i caved on that one). all of the wedding china has been unpacked, but i just can't seem to find my regular cups and dishes. and i found my toaster oven and blender, but seemed to have misplaced my microwave. i have pans, but no pots, and i have a waffle maker, but no griddle. a mish-mash to sort through. i'll make a full meal sometime next winter.

summer is arriving, and that means death in the dental office. no, no, no, not dead people, just more dead time and more patient cancellations. can't say i blame them, especially with the beautiful weather and FIFA going on. canuck works in a predominantly portuguese community, and his office was a ghost town these past couple of days. soccer is like a religion to the europeans, much like hockey is to canadians (and i can't quite grasp either of those concepts, but that's okay, i've just learned to accept it). this bolton office is working out pretty well - the staff is nice, the patients are pretty friendly, and the equipment is SWEET. but it's hard getting used to working in the same office as the boss again. the practice owner is pretty nice, but you can tell she's a total type A and is the tiniest bit of a megalomaniac. she even checked one of the fillings i did on a patient when i asked her for help with the electrosurg machine (great stuff, btw, i highly recommend it!) and i almost shit in my pants. but then i realized that hey, this is her practice, these are her patients, and she has every right to do that. and apparently she occasionally does that with all of her associates (i'm one of three). but it still made me feel kinda wierd, you know? so i keep it light and simple with her, and make sure that i'm on my A-game when i go to work there. the end result is that i'm super critical of my work and i really try to crank out some good dentistry. and she also says that anytime i have any questions about anything, feel free to ask, and even vice versa. apparently, the practice is very open with dialogue and critique, passing opinions around et cetera, while in new york if someone checks your work or even remotely glances over your shoulder, it's a sign of bad faith. which was why it was such a shock to me when she did that. but she said she wasn't doing it to "check up on me" she was merely curious (she liked it, btw). so for now, it's all good, but the new yorker in me will always be on guard....

4 Comments:

  • Hey Doc Mom,
    Congratz !! on your new acquisition. May it bring you many years of wedded bliss and happy memories. Me and my husband have yet to make the step in making that kind of commitment.

    Hmm how did it come about that you changed offices? What happened to DIB ? Hope you are happy at your new place. I have also traded up a bit in my new town and the new surgery has digital x-rays and a few other new toys, and a dedicated dental nurse to me! In my old place, the nurse was sterilising and I had to set up myself and do half the filling, holding my own suction before she came back.

    Will be good to trade stories. Hope you settle in well :)

    By Blogger Rachel, At Wednesday, June 07, 2006  

  • i'm still in DIB office and i like it there, but there just aren't enough patients and there was a lot of gaps in my schedule. so i consolidated my days there and picked up this new office up north in the 'burbs. thank god i did, because the downtown office is going thru a huge dry spell and i can't afford to wait for it to pick up again. right now, i get the best of both worlds. i enjoy commuting into the city, but can easily drive to work on my alternate days.

    congrats on your new office as well! how's "big city" life? do you miss cowra???

    By Blogger Dr. Mommy, D.D.S., At Wednesday, June 07, 2006  

  • Congrats on being a homeowner!

    I would have nearly shit too if my boss looked over my shoulder at a restoration. It would be so uncomfortable....but I guess the openness in the office is really good.

    By Blogger MomEtc., At Thursday, June 08, 2006  

  • Hey Congrats on the new house! My ex-boss was super critical abt me too, he not only checked on my works he even called the patients to check on me. -_-
    We only have a very old digital x ray in the surgery (still gotta wait for 1.5min for film to develop ;( ), nothing new or interesting, just pretty old and basic stuff (my dental chair is older than me by 30 yrs). ;( I'm in the process of setting up my own practice :D but I can't make up my mind abt the digital x ray, any recommendation?

    By Blogger Dentist Down Under, At Sunday, June 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home