Dr. Mommy Dentist

Saturday, April 08, 2006

back home for a few

april 5 was my nana's 80th birthday (happy birthday nana-nana!) and my family threw her a huge birthday bash at a pub in stamford, connecticut. all 20 or so of her neices and nephews showed up to wish her a happy one, and she got some really great gifts. she was so cute, saying, "wow, they spent so much on me, i can't believe it!" and i was like, "nana, of course you deserve it, you were everyone's favorite aunt and my favorite nana!" in all reality, my nana is pretty darn cool. she's sweet, laid back, and has something nice to say about everyone (unfortunately, even george bush, "he really means well"). i really miss her, but i try to call her at least once a week just to chat and catch up.

so, cookie and i boarded a flight out of toronto at around 6:30 a.m., sans daddy. airfare is really quite ridiculous nowadays and there was no way all three of us could afford to go - cookie is now a full price ticket, despite the fact that after the seatbelt sign goes off, she's plopped in my lap looking out the window. we got up at around 4 a.m. and it's 10 p.m. now and i'm just starting to unwind. it was a long day, but really good to see everyone. tomorrow, cookie, nana and i can hang out, maybe do some shopping. i need some cheap sweats. i miss target up in toronto, and the days of spending $70 on a pair of track pants from roots are over if we want that house in the near future (btw, canuck was NOT happy about that last purchase, but in the end even he conceded that they were cute).

strange dental story of the day - a patient asked me to check his teeth for STDs and is convinced that periodontal disease is sexually contagious. just try keeping a straight face while explaining this, i mean you feel really bad about the misinfo, but how can a dentist say "i don't see any signs of STDs on your teeth." btw, all this was going on while a woman who was waiting for her husband in the lounge area boldly confronted a disabled patient of mine on why he had no hands. my receptionist told me that a melee almost broke out before the poor woman realized she shouldn't ask such personal questions to complete strangers. thankfully, the situation diffused before i got involved and i heard all of this secondhand. so, yesterday was a very interesting day, to say the least!

3 Comments:

  • Wow doc mommy! sounds like you did have a fun time at work. the only story I can add to that is about a public patient of my boss's who was told many of her teeth could not be saved and she ran out of the building sobbing and threatening to throw herself in front of a car! Luckilyhre partner ran after her and crash tackled her. If she came alone, I am not sure what the ADA suggested protocol for that would have been!

    Heres crossing fingers for you in your househunt. Life is crazy for me at the moment my puter is on the dining table and I'm surrounded by cartons and mountains of stuff everywhere!! I hate moving!! I hope you find a great place and make your final move for a looooong time :D

    By Blogger Rachel, At Sunday, April 09, 2006  

  • Hey there....just found your blog. I'm finishing up at UConn SDM next month. Headed to NYC (my hometown). Looking forward to reading more of your blog!
    margaret

    By Blogger MomEtc., At Sunday, April 09, 2006  

  • on missing Target: have you tried Zellers? they actually sell some of the same brands and around the same price range - I found when I did the reverse that Target was the closest I came to finding Zellers in the States.

    By Blogger michele, At Saturday, April 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home