Dr. Mommy Dentist

Saturday, September 16, 2006

!

so i go to canadian tire to get my oil changed on thursday, no biggie, just routine maintenance (did i spell that right???). i go to pick the car up and i'm told that the "boots and shaft" on the front axel is torn and corroded and needs to be replaced. well, okay, that sucks, but my car's 8 years old and hasn't been serviced with anything major since i bought it so. it's a '99 subaru forrester with over 103,000 miles on it and i absolutely love it and am not planning on getting another one anytime soon, do what you gotta do. oh, btw, the power steering fluid needs to be flushed, too. sure, go ahead, what's another $70 on top of the $550 i'm already spending, right? i take the car in today to get all this done and i get another phone call about an hour later. guess what, your brake pads are worn down and out of alignment, and one of the recepticles or whatever you call is is cracked and leaking brake fluid. um, okay, i guess that should be fixed, too, i use the bloody car every day it would probably be a good thing i could stop the car properly, right? how much is this going to run me in total? $1300???? ho-ly shit! damage, it hurts, it hurts!!!

it's so funny, because surveys have pretty much placed dentists and mechanics at the same level of the "trust meter" (which is pretty damn low, as you can guess). so i suppose today i got a taste of what it feels like when someone comes in for a "chipped tooth" or "my filling fell out" and i take a radiograph and whoa, nice PAR, you need a root canal and a post, core and crown and then the jaws drop to the floor. it's going to cost me $2000 to save this tooth? are you kidding me? i was absolutely dumbstruck-flabbergasted at the cost, and i was really torn between are these guys trying to soak me and i should just do what needs to get done and trust the experts? what kind of response would i expect if placed in the same position, as i am every single day i come to work? most people are pretty honest, right? well, as you can guess i went with the latter (gritting my teeth the whole way, but still, it needed to get done). i hope some good karma comes my way now ;-)

2 Comments:

  • I'm surprised they didn't catch some of these issues at your last oil change...

    How was the endo course?

    Did you guys find out who the office thief was?

    By Blogger Unknown, At Saturday, September 16, 2006  

  • lol Doc mommy. Yes I often do tell patients about what I find "under the hood" I often do have to think in terms of that perspective too when I am slapped with a big bill for something. Thankfully for most people, it only happens a few times in their life. I usually also use that analogy to explain to people that like a regular service and oil change for their cars, teeth also need to be looked after. I bet it would be more than a 10,000 chew mark every 6 months!

    By Blogger Rachel, At Monday, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home