Dr. Mommy Dentist

Friday, March 02, 2007

we're all grown up!

and i'm not just talking about cookie anymore, either. one of my oldest and dearest friends just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on february 28! she was my roommate from college, and to think that the girl who i partied with, the girl who's shoulder i cried on and who's puke i cleaned up, the girl who was there the first time i got drunk and stoned (two separate occasions, i might add, and she was there and the supplier for both!), the girl who did a drunken handstand while wearing a skirt before she realized she went commando that night, the girl who i could look at in the morning and just know that she got laid the night before, and the girl who showed our whole campus the video of her skydiving topless, is now a mom. and i couldn't be more proud of and excited for her!

this one kicks off a string of births-to-be and future nuptials. my other old and dear friend (and you know who you are, girlie!) is due in early may, our best man's wife is expecting in july, and several of my hygienists and another doctor i work with are also expecting in the upcoming spring/summer months. there are so many moms-to-be out there! and i also just found out that my other buddy is planning on popping the question to his girlfriend. this was the guy who's toenails i would paint black (okay, he was/is a little strange but that's why i love him so much) and who was the first person to rush to my house to take me out for margaritas when i got my acceptance letter to columbia. he also used to carry his stash in a little kraft macaroni and cheese tin that had all these little cartoon dinosaurs all over it, and now he's going to be a husband and eventually a father. can you imagine!

and it's funny - i don't feel old, i feel TERRIFFIC! as i'm typing this, i realize what great friends i've made and held onto through all these years, and how lucky i am to have them in my life. some of them are quite far away, but only in terms of miles, and i'm so happy for them to be experiencing the tremendous joy that i've already gone through (and hope to be going through again someday soon!). i was the first to get my professional degree, get hitched, have a kid, and buy a house, and all of them were on the sidelines, cheering me on and supporting me as i plowed on. i can't wait to return the favor and i hope i can give at least half as much great friendship as was given to me all these years.

btw, this new little junior is on his way to full fledged stylin'. since i am a wannabe canadian now, i have to spread the cheer to my american family and i blew over $150 at the roots outlet. my friend went crazy for the stuff i got her, and they'll get tons of use out of them if they want to have more (hey, we have a whole bunch of roots stuff waiting for baby #2, good as new).

man, i'm just so giddy!

1 Comments:

  • You're never too old to do the topless skydiving thing...

    I remember how I thought my friends were grown up when they started having girlfriends.

    By Blogger Unknown, At Saturday, March 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home